Monday, January 17, 2011

Marathon Motivation: Are YOU Making YOUR Dreams Happen?

I recently got an email from a woman asking for advice on reaching her dream to run a marathon. Here’s some of her note …

“I am in love of running. Period. I love the feeling, I love the satisfaction it gives you, and I even love the bad days. But, sometimes I’m am soooooooo busy I hardly find the time to run. I am 27-year-old dentist and also a full time new ‘wifey.’ Sometimes it’s so hard for me to train. My ultimate dream is running a marathon, hopefully before my 30th birthday. Until now I have run mostly 10ks but the big marathon is always in my mind.

I’m so motivated, I run 3-4 times a week, but it’s complicated due to my schedule, so running at night is mostly my only choice. I depend on my husband to join me. You can imagine what that means … if he is tired or upset by something, no running for me that day or I have to stick to the old friend that is always there: the treadmill.

So this is my ‘fear’ not to accomplish my dream due to these factors. Any advice? I’m not giving up on this! I want to run a marathon no matter what.”

Raise your hand if you can relate.

*insert both hands in the air here*

Better yet, leave a comment with your words of wisdom on how you’re tackling YOUR goals and kicking fear in the butt.

My advice?

She already sounds like she has the love and passion; if she matches that with determination and patience, she’ll run that marathon.

ANYTHING is possible. Set a goal, devise a plan, be flexible, be creative and most importantly BELIEVE that you can do it.

Winks & Smiles,

7 comments:

Amy said...

Have a plan... and do it before you have kids! If you think your life is busy now.. just wait! :) You can do it!

SPG said...

She needs a plan of action. Here's what I did when I turned from couch potato to running my first half marathon
1. I chose the easiest training plan. For me this was a combo of Jeff Galloway/Hal Higdon.
2. I had just started back work, my DH travels every week and with 2 young kids, outdoor runs were a no go. But even 30-40 min on the treadmill is better than nothing.
3. 1 day/weekend for long runs that I did not compromise on.

Whatever the plan - go for it. You live just once and enjoy that life to the fullest.

McLea said...

I agree with Amy! You have to have the mindframe of "no excuses." I've got three kids under the age of 4, a shift working husband and I work from home. There is always a reason why you can't get out, and you have to decide what you really want.

Definitely stick to a plan. If your schedule is all over the place, it may be easier to say- I will do 4 runs a week and 3 days of weights or whatever.

I've been sticking to every second day for exercise and that has been working well for me, just to maintain the consistency is huge. I've had to be flexible, sometimes it's running at 7am, or dropping kids off at Grandmas during the day to run, or going in the evening when kids are in bed.

It's not going to get any easier, just get out the door consistently and you'll do great. Also see if you can find a running club, or other girls that run. I know it's hard to meet up consistently but if you have someone else that you can get out with once and awhile I find that really helps to.

Remember- if marathons were easy everyone would do them ;-) It's a pretty amazing feeling when you cross that finish line and have that shirt and medal!

Unknown said...

GREAT comments, ladies! LOVE it!

MizFit said...

YES YES!!
a plan A
a plan B
a plan C

all designed to git you to your goals.

No excuses, right? :)

keyalus said...

If this is something you really want to do, you will just have to buckle down and work with your circumstances.

If I were you I would do the following:

1. Running a marathon is do-able but just make sure you are capable of starting a training plan. Most quickly ramp up to 10 miles in the first few weeks. If you haven't run that far, build up some time to increase your long run base mileage before you start.

2. Consider a 3 day a week marathon training plan. Check out the "Run Less, Run Faster" book or Google 3 day marathon training plans. I always use 3 day plans. This way you have a flex day in training case something goes wrong.

3. You can only run at night? Fine, I can only do mornings so I know how it is. Nothing wrong with that if you don't have issues skipping workouts. Make sure you get it in. No excuses.

4. Ditch the husband. Sounds like he is an unreliable complicating factor. Are you running with him for safety at night? If so, I'd make friends with my treadmill during the week and do a long run outside during the day on the weekend.

Hope something I said helps!

K said...

I have a plan and am conquering the fear (and not just that of exercise failure) this year ! Check out your name in my next blog -- all good stuff -- hope you don't mind. I love your inspirational words and am now a follower.
thatswhyyouloveme.blogspot.com
Love
K

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...